Friday, March 16, 2007

Stuck being political again

I never paid that much attention to the Dixie Chicks; I just knew that my dad liked them. At least he did until a comment made during a 2003 concert.

During the run-up to this endless war, The Dixie Chicks said, "We are ashamed that George Bush is from Texas." The fact that bushy is not from Texas notwithstanding {he was born in New Haven, Connecticut, which makes him a YANKEE in my book}. Conservative country fans, boycotted the band's album & tour, country radio stations stopped playing their music, & Natalie Maines even had a death threat (now that's what I call good Christian values!).

Why did one person saying they are ashamed of the President make them so angry? Why is that unpatriotic? How is that unsupportive of our troops? After all, she didn't mention troops or soldiers or the military in that quote. It's an opinion. So is the belief that corporations deserve rights & handouts. So is the hypothesis that there are Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq; WMD's which have never been found. I feel that Bush is not truly Christian although he believes he is & that neocon's don't actually believe in Christianity, beyond as a tool of power, but hey, that's only my opinion. I personally am ashamed that Resident Bush & Cheney, two soulless, psychopaths are representing our Republic to the rest of the world.

Why I am thinking about the Dixie Chicks you ask? The above rant (gotta get out my anger at the decline of our US Civilization) is leading up to something. And that is the documentary entitled "Dixie Chicks Shut Up & Sing", which details the band's experiences after the infamous comment, which spawned their new album, "Taking the Long Way". After watching this documentary I have so much respect & love for them. I literally turned off the DVD & walked to my neighborhood record store & bought their new record.

It's an excellent documentary & if it interests you, you can probably find it at your local library or video store. Their new record is pretty good too. It's honest & raw.

Peace be with you & me.

"When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil."
- Thomas Jefferson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home