Thursday, December 22, 2005

Random Readings Fall 2005

Happy post-solstice & merry Christmas!

Here's a sampling of some of the books I read this fall.

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
Just as awesome as the movie is but with more back stories! I liked getting to read about the other 4 Mercury astronauts: Carpenter, Shira, Slayton and Cooper. A must read, even if you aren’t into this stuff.

Confessions of a Teen Sleuth by Chelsea Cain
Did you ever wonder what happened when Nancy Drew grew up? Was she really in love with Ned Nickersby? What if her mom hadn’t really died when she was 3? What if her adventures were really penned by a former, jealous roommate? What happened in her mysterious adventures? Read this and find out. It’s a hoot!


Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence by Paul Feig
This is written by the creator of “Freaks & Geeks”, one of the best TV shows of all time. If you haven’t watched that…watch it. And read this book. This is a humorous and harrowing look at growing up in the 70s. I was laughing starting from page 1.

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell
The first time I ever saw BC was in the Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr. , a too short-lived TV show (hmmm…I wonder if this is on DVD?!). I’ll watch just about anything this man is in. I love him even more after reading this book. In his own words, this is what his book’s about: “So another actor writes a book about his glamorous, whirlwind life. Personally, as an ex-Detroiter, that crap bores me to tears. I’ve always been more interested in the working stiffs of Hollywood, ninety-nine percent of whom are overlooked in those phoney, “tell all” books. …Therefore this is not a memoir about what I said to so- and-so at the Beverly Hills hotel. It’s not about an actor’s meteoric rise or tragic fall. Rather, this book is dedicated to the players on the second string, the B People, if you will, and I cheerfully include myself in that lot.” Ohhh… Bruce…you ROCK!!! ; >


Not a Teen Detective by Susan Kandel
An enjoyable, amusing & quick-read mystery surrounding Nancy Drew and her fanatical fans. The author really researched her book well with lots of Nancy Drew history. It even has Salvador Dali in it. What could be better? From the author who wrote “I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason”.


The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from A Magnificent & Clumsy Life by Laurie Notaro
A female, less cynical version of David Sedaris. I thought this would be funnier. But it did get funnier towards the end. I’m still looking forward to reading her other book about the dorkiest girl alive.

Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
A close second favorite (#4 is still my favorite)! The character development is excellent (I love Ron!). I admit, I wept at the end.

Moon Shot by Alan Sheppard & Deke Slayton
Still on that NASA kick. This was another excellent book. Written by two original Mercury 7 astronauts it’s a totally gripping account to their NASA experiences.

Confessions of An Organized Homemaker The Secrets of Uncluttering your Home & Taking Control of your Life by Deniece Schofield
I’m always in the process of organizing my home. I go through purges every few months. This book actually gave me several inexpensive (mostly using things I already have) & inspired me to create an organization plan. The house is already running more smoothly. It’s a quick & fairly entertaining thing to read. But then I am an organization freak.

Making Candles & Soaps for Dummy’s
Not very exciting but I thought it could be handy. Now I know the basics of making candles. I still haven’t even made any candles. Maybe next year.

Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein
One of the highlights of this posthumously published book.

“Runny’s jib Bump”

Runny be quimble,
Runny be nick,
Runny cump over the jandlestick.
But now – what smells like furning bluff?
Guess he didn’t hump jigh enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home